Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Taste of Russia for Shrove Tuesday

Okay, we're dealing with Russian werewolves in "13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale" for a number of reasons (among them being my continuing love of Russian culture :-).

So I thought I'd briefly mention something that's coming up on the calendar. Shrove Tuesday (the day before Ash Wednesday, for those keeping track ;-) is coming up in a couple weeks now (I want to say it's on the 24th of February this year, but don't quote me on that ;-). It is traditional in many countries to eat some wonderfully fatty things because of the tradition of then giving up rich things (a sort of personal sacrifice) during the period called "Lent." In a good number of northern European countries, the people eat what we'd probably call "pancakes" here in the USA.

In Russia, these bready beasts are called blini (they sound neat already, don't they? ;-). Because I truly hope folks ready my blog and my story will develop a finer appreciation for Russian culture and our own numerous Russian-Americans, I'm linking to a few recipes for blin (singular) and blini (plural).

The first one is found here and requires converting Metric measurements to English measurements.

Here's one with for the fancier caviar fancier. ;-) And for those who still freak out over the fact that caviar is just the name for fish eggs--Cope. ;-) After you've read Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" and thought about your hamburgers and hotdogs, caviar shouldn't seem so frightening :p.

And here is one from a frequently used recipe clearing house.

I'm thinking about doing one of these for my family (I want my son to be decently cultured) on the appointed day. But I also need to do the traditional Dutchie thing ;-) and make what we call fastnachts...

So--I encourage you to try something new on the 24th (which, in general, I hope you also do on many days other than the 24th as well ;-).

Take care!
~Saoirse

No comments: