Monday, February 16, 2009

The World of "13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale"

I've mentioned that the town of Junction, the setting for 13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale, is an old railroad town. It's had its ups and downs and is "currently" dealing with issues like many small towns in America. Old mom and pop shops are dying out and being crushed under the weight of supercenter stores (where, if mom and pop are lucky, they can be "greeters" and act like they still have the pride they used to from owning their own business--okay, okay--I know--I'm ranting a smidge). Factories are falling apart because Junction jobs are still being shipped overseas. These are issues real people face too often, and Jessica Gillamansen (our 13 to Life narrator) comments on the issues she sees.

But beyond the socio-economic troubles (and the werewolves) Junction is just like many places in the USA. It is, in ways, like Ellicott City, Maryland and Bryson City, North Carolina. It's inspired by Oneonta, New York and Fleetwood and Boyertown, Pennsylvania. There are surely a thousand more such towns in the United States--anywhere the railroad went people prospered and towns popped up. Junction is my homage to those places where the windows rattled (and still do) whenever a train chugged into a station. My grandfather was a railroad man, and although I never got to meet him really (I've seen a photo of him holding me as an infant but that's all) the stories of his time with the trains continue to be told.

Keep chuggin' along!
~Saoirse

No comments: