Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Disoriented

I know I haven't blogged for something like a week now (not my intention) but things have been crazy (of course, if you follow this blog, you know "crazy" is the normal state ;-).

Last week was INTENSE. My last set of suggested revisions rolled in on Sunday and I had to get everything addressed by Wednesday. Granted, none of the issues were huge, but there were lots of little fine-toothed-comb edits. I felt like I was fully immersed in the story again and it was great. But then I finished (FOR NOW, because there are always edits and tweaks that can be made) and I was totally disoriented. Loopy, even. Ididn't know what to do with myself. I think it must have been something akin to culture shock. I'd been living in Junction so long that coming back here left me unbalanced.

"13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale" is the first novel I've truly finished. I've come close a couple times, but there wasn't the need to push through that this one had. I think that's part of the disorientation. I finally finished and released it into the hands of my agent (who got it promptly onto several very important people's desks). Will they like it? I hope so... Will they love it? I'm afraid to consider the odds of editors (who sound like they're always horrendously swamped and struggling through slush) loving anything... But I hope they realize its value and my willingness to make it even better with their guidance.

So, I thought I'd just sort of drift a little, but the concepts for books 2-4 hit me like--I don't know--something really hard (did I mention I was up 3 times last night with a vomiting boy and at least one sick dog?--gross--my vocabulary is shot). A sock full of nickels! There. Yep, they hit me like a sock full of nickels. So I jotted gobs of stuff down. Then I thought I'd get a breather.

My ewes started lambing on the day of my son's McDonald's Playland party. Hey. Why not? :p Then we were moving them and every other wacky thing happened. So. I'm still disoriented, but now it's more like a gun-shy type of disorientation--like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I have another deadline Sunday, more work from my South Korean publishers and the maple trees are running with sap, so I'm sugaring off, too! Eep! Disoriented, overwhelmed--all I want is a three-day weekend where I can sink back into Junction without interruption and write book 2. We'll see how soon I get the opportunity. I know my hubby will rearrange the schedule once I've got a finalized contract, so I'm hanging on by a thread till then. ;-)

Take care!
~Saoirse

No comments: