Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Lessons in Life and Literature

I'm not one of those authors who writes with the intent of shoving a moral or a lesson down readers' throats. The reasons are simple. First, I write YA (and let's all be frank here ;-) most teens and even young people beyond that scope do NOT like to be told what to do or how to act. That's okay with me (except when it comes to raising my 5 year old son). I sure as heck don't like to be told what to do, either.

The fact that many teens also outright rebel when told how to behave makes it exceedingly counterproductive (at least in my opinion) to tell them what to do (even if it is in the form of entertainment) and then expect them to do it. That also kinda' borders on that popular definition of insanity (again, just my opinion): "...doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." We've laced literature (heavily) with morals and mores. And, in many cases, it's just turned off young readers once they realize it's there. So why do something that doesn't work?

This doesn't mean that my "13 to Life" trilogy is devoid of morality. Hardly! But I hope most of what I'm getting at simply sits in the back of readers' brains, turned to a slow simmer. What do those of you hovering around the blogosphere think of imparting life's lessons through literature? If you're a reader (and everyone should be, btw) do you get turned off by "lessons" or "preaching?" If you're a writer (which means you should be a reader, too ;-) how do you pass along your life's knowledge--or don't you bother?

Quite curious,
~Saoirse

No comments: