Thursday, June 25, 2009

Dog Days of Summer: Dara England's Workspace

Dara England, the author of Brought to Life (and whom we were all introduced to earlier today), has returned to not only share photos of her workspace and bookshelf, but also to give us a little more information about herself.

Dara says that her main strength as a writer is:

"...more about determination than natural skill. As a kid I loved to write but was terrible at it. I set my heart on pursuing a writing career (something I’m still struggling to get off the ground) and worked for it. This isn’t my weekend hobby or something I do because it comes easily to me."
Dara's workspace (below) is certainly beautiful!

When asked about her writing work habits, Dara says:

"I try to write daily. Of course there are always days when distractions come up and that isn’t possible (today, for example, my addiction to Facebook is making a mockery of my word count goal)."

Dara does admit to having a little writing ritual that helps her ease into the work of the day:

"...despite what I’ve said about writing being work, I’ll be the first to admit it’s made much easier if I can get myself into a creative mood. For example, I like to have the soft buzz of a fan running in the background as I write and it helps if I have the lighting dimmed."

Dara's favorite bookshelf:

Buy Dara's book, Brought to Life at Lyrical Press.

Tomorrow join us to read an excerpt from Dara's book and learn a little about book promotions most authors can do on a shoestring budget--random comment contest then! And on Saturday we'll be chatting with Dara about her writing process and advice she has for writers.

Thanks so much for joining us today, Dara!

10 comments:

Hailey Edwards said...

I am so envious of your workspace. LOL

And it looks like we have shared reading material.

It was nice finding out a little more about you, Dara :0)

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Hailey,

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on Dara's workspace and bookshelf!

~Saoirse

lainey bancroft said...

Gorgeous workplace, Dara. Not sure I could be disciplined enough to indulge. I'd settle back on those inviting cushions, likely pick up someone else's book and never get a thing done.

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Lainey,

I agree! I'd be too relaxed to get any writing done in such a lovely spot! :-) Thanks for commenting--don't forget to read Dara's book excerpt and comment there for a chance to win our 2nd prize pack!

~Saoirse

MAC said...

I have a book I want to recommend to you. It's called A Study in Red by Brian L. Porter. It's not werewolf it's about Jack the Ripper. Sort of a true crime/fiction novel. It's great! I have a review for this on my site http://stirlaughrepeat.blogspot.com just click on A Book and A Review in the right sidebar. This one is really worth checking out. I also have to say that I envy your "reading room."
Martha

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Thank you, Mac. It sounds interesting. Keep in mind, though, that Dara's novel (which has an intriguing premise) also is not a werewolf tale. It's still a wonderful paranormal read. :-)

~Saoirse

Andycea said...

I love your work/write space, Dara. It is absolutely beautiful and restful. You are certainly disciplined, if you can write in your workspace. It's way too relaxing for me. I enjoyed your interview and learning more about you.

Lisa Marie Wilkinson said...

Dara,
I'd trade workspaces with you any day, LOL. Mine consists of a not-so-comfortable computer chair and a laptop on a desktop that makes my elbows hurt because it's not the best ergonomic setup!

Your workspace is lovely, and obviously inspires you to write excellent books!

nerinedorman said...

That's one helluva workspace. Mine looks like it belongs to . . . well, a writer married to a fetish photographer. I have all my favourite half-nekkid schmodels looking down upon me while I write. Helps me think of heroines.

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Thank you all for commenting to Dara! I'll try and send out an email to her so she knows she has more folks she may want to respond to!

~Saoirse