Friday, June 19, 2009

Dog Days of Summer: Eva Gordon Book Excerpt


Good morning!

Today I'm glad to share a little more with you about author Eva Gordon's werewolf novels, including showing you an excerpt from Eva's recent release, Werewolf Sanctuary published by Vanilla Heart Publishing. First, some quick info about the book...


The story begins with Lupercal society in peril due to an unknown disease infecting their young offspring. The children who do survive the pestilence, shift too early into wolf cubs, lose their distinct markings, and end up becoming normal wolves, unaware of their human consciousness. Normally immune to most known diseases, the Lupercal has few of their own doctors and must seek the help of a human outsider to find the cure.


Wyatt Weylin, alpha male of the Montana pack, and leader of a team of mercenary lycans, flies to a World Wolf Conference in San Francisco, where he hopes to convince leading authority on wolf diseases, veterinarian Dr. Madeline Styles to come to his wolf sanctuary and find a cure. The minute he sees her he feels drawn to her striking good looks. The sensory chemistry is instant. He tries to suppress the feeling, knowing that he is forbidden to fall for a human. Wyatt discovers that the vegetarian animal doctor has the mark of the wolf and he claims her as his life mate. To complicate matters Bisclavaret, Wyatt’s enemy and bad alpha lycan from the Bayou, is determined to make Madeline his wolf maiden, one way or another.

This scene is after the Wolf Conference and Maddie heads home only to have her jeep get a flat tire on a dark abandoned road. Wyatt rescues Maddie from thugs and finds out she has the mark of the lycan wolf. Eva rates her books as "R" for sex and violence. The following scene is a fight scene and we get a taste of what Eva's alpha lycans are like.

From Werewolf Sanctuary, Book 1 of Wolf Maiden Chronicles:

“Who the hell is that?” said the one still holding his aching balls.

Her eyes were blurred but she could not help but recognize the tall muscular man with the cowboy boots as he stepped out of his car facing six armed men. He simply walked toward the one hovering over her as if there were no others. Being without weapons and outnumbered did not seem to concern him. Before he could get any closer they were on him.

She closed her eyes. He looked like he could take care of himself but not against six strapping men with bats, crowbars and knives. What had she done?

She opened her eyes at the sound of bone cracking and the scream from the one who had the crowbar. Both shoulder blades dislocated, he was thrown like a football toward some thorny bushes. The one with the bat came at him. Wyatt grabbed his arm broke it with a fist to his elbow. He threw him on the ground and held the bat above the man. The man cowered holding his distorted arm. Wyatt then broke the bat like a twig and turned to the next attacker.

He growled like a wolf. She rubbed her eyes in disbelief. She could have sworn she saw a long snout and dark fur on his face and around his neck. And fangs! Whatever it was, it caused his attacker, despite his painful injuries to run in absolute terror.

His face now looked normal and he approached the one still standing next to her. His eyes burned rage.

Fearing for his life the man over her grabbed her and held her like a body shield with a knife to her throat. “Whatever the hell you are, stay away or she gets it.”

Both she and her attacker were startled to see Wyatt roar and charge like a line backer. The frightened attacker dropped the knife, threw her against Wyatt and ran. She stumbled forward and he caught her. He folded his arms around her, sat on the ground with her and gently rocked her. He glanced at her attackers and made a deep warning growl that can only be described as that of a timber wolf. It sent shivers up her spine, like he was some nightmarish werewolf.

Around them the wounded skinheads picked themselves up and limped away or ran.

Instead of chasing them he made a strange demand. “Wait here for the police or I will return and hunt you down!”

They ran into one of the buildings and it sounded like they barricaded themselves in.

“Madeline, are you hurt?”

She was trembling like a frightened bird. “Just bruised.”

“I need to take you to the emergency.”

“No. Honest.” She moved her hair out of the way and rubbed a spot on her head. “I just need to ice this egg.”

He tenderly fingered through her hair. “I’ll take you to my hotel and clean you up.”

Part of her wanted him to call her a cab. Yet, going with him seemed the only thing to do, in fact it felt like the right thing to do. She felt safe and her gut instincts told her he would not harm her.

“I need to call my mom. Tell her I’m staying in the city. She worries so.”

He picked her up and gently sat her on the passenger side of his car. He handed her his phone.

She quickly left a message. She must have already been asleep. He picked up her crushed cell phone and tossed it in the car.

“If you don’t mind let me make one call before I take you to my place.”
She gave him the phone and watched as he called the police.

“You need to send several squad cards to Primo and Baker. A crystal meth gang is using several warehouses here… I went to look for my girlfriend’s abandoned car and that’s when I found the labs… No, I’ll leave my card on her windshield.”

He went in her car, picked up her keys, purse and took out her laptop, CDs and her thrown coat and put them in his trunk. He closed his trunk and took off his dress coat to cover her shivering legs. “Let’s get the hell out of here.”

He sped away in the opposite directions of the police sirens. In the far distant the sound of an approaching helicopter must have meant they took his call serious.

“Why do you think they’re running a crystal meth lab?”

He glanced at his rearview mirror. “The dust was on their body. And I smelled the distinctive odor coming from the warehouse.”

It was like he was a drug-sniffing dog. She snuggled under his blazer. A whiff of his manly body aroma radiated from it, making her feel like it was his body. “And you’re from Montana?”

He suppressed a laugh. “Crime is everywhere, even in the wilds of Montana.”

Back on the main roads she turned to him. “Thanks for saving my life.”

“I wish I had followed you home.”

“All the way to Marin? No. All that matters is that you were there just in time. You must be a black belt in Karate or some ex-Marine?”

“Practiced Martial Arts all my life.”

“What really worked was that weird growl. I could have sworn it was a wolf’s. For a minute I almost imagined I saw you change into a…” she looked out the window at the fleeting lights, “never mind, it must have been the bump on my head.”

He shot her a worried brow. “What did you see?”

She stared at him making sure he was normal. “It was dark, but I thought I saw fur on your face and fangs.”

He smiled. “Old Ninja trick. If you make a fearful sound your enemy will imagine the monster that makes it.”

“Interesting. Naturally after all the wolf talk, it makes perfectly good sense that you would use a wolf’s growl. Kind of like your ring tone.”

He sighed as if he was relieved that she accepted his explanation. “Exactly.”

Yet she saw what she saw. Wyatt a cursed werewolf? There was no such thing. It had to have been her imagination. She did have more than two glasses of wine.

They pulled into the underground hotel parking lot.


He zipped into the first parking space. “I think I should make sure I don’t need to take you to the hospital.” He turned on his light and looked over her bruises on her now calmed body.

Her skirt was completely torn and she was grateful her coat went down to her calves. She wouldn’t have to walk in half naked.

He inspected a bruise on her upper thigh when his jaw gaped opened and his eyes widened in utter shock. “You have the mark of the wolf!”

She wanted to giggle but she was in too much pain. “I’ve never heard anyone, except for my grandmere describe my birthmark like that, but yeah. Cool isn’t it?”



To buy Eva's books:
In Print or Kindle through Amazon
In ebook from Vanilla Heart Publishing
Or at a standard bookstore, ask them to order ISBN 9781935407300

Links to join Eva's Fanpage on Facebook or friend her on Myspace or follow her on Twitter.

NOW--to enter the contest for free books and assorted swag, leave us a comment below that shows you've read either something in Eva's interview, looked at her workspace or have a comment about her novel's premise or excerpt.

Come back tomorrow to hear about Eva's experiences with writing and publishing and to read her advice to aspiring authors!

7 comments:

A. F. Stewart said...

A fabulous excerpt, who wouldn't want a handsome werewolf coming to their rescue.

I am certainly intrigued; I'll check out the book.

Robin said...

Thank you so much for this excerpt! Great taste of a very under utilized creature--the werewolf. Saoirse, thanks for doing this blog and pointing me to authors to read while I wait for my published copy of "13 to Life"!

Eva Gordon said...

Loved how you added the wolf graphics. Saoirse, you are one creative lady! I love it!!

I will also mail the mark of the lycan wolf tattoo to any who comments and wants one. I will just need your contact info. I have worn mine for 5 weeks. Almost like the real thing. Warning, this may attract the attention of an alpha werewolf.

Susan Coffee said...

After reading this Eva it makes me want to go out and get it! I have checked my local bookstores and I may have to order it on line which is cool too!
Best of luck to you and your sucess in writing these books!!! Stick to your guns and never waver from the prize Eva!

Eva Gordon said...

Thanks Susan,
You can order it at the bookstore with my ISBN number: 978-1-935407-30-0

We are hoping the booksellers will pick it up soon.

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Glad you guys popped in to check out Eva's stuff and leave a comment for her. Eva, glad you like the images I included. :-)

You made the kick off of the Dog Days of Summer BlogTour easy with the stuff you included as answers to my questions--very comprehensive.

And, yes, I'd love a tattoo! VERY cool. :-)

Thanks again, Eva!
~Saoirse

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Yay! Break in the clouds! Winner of our first prize pack via roll of the dice is.....

Susan Coffee! Susan, Susan, Susan, PLEASE e-mail me by 9pm this Monday (EST) at saoirse @ 13 to life DOT us (of course you'll eliminate the spaces in that and replace the word DOT with a . ). I'll need your physical address so I can ship out your free books, DVD and chocolate (and the stickers, mustn't forget them!).

If Susan doesn't have an email in my mailbox by 9pm EST this Monday night, the winner will be...A.F. Stewart.

So, the ball's in your court now, Susan!

Thanks to everyone who came by and commented--come back this Thursday for Dara England!
~Saoirse