Monday, June 15, 2009

Write On: A Little Writing Advice...Playlists

When trying to get into a character's head (which is, let's be honest, what you must do to write them fully) try making a playlist of songs or two about them (or for them).

A playlist is easily built at places like Playlist.com (go figure!) and generally it doesn't take a lot of time if you have some sort of clue about your character. It's a fun change of pace, and great for keeping you writing with them firmly in your head.

Here are a couple types of playlists you might build for a single character:

1.) romantic scene playlist (what's the background music for the love scenes?--if you have them)
2.) romantic scene playlist--their perspective (what do they hear when romantic?)
3.) theme songs (overall, what music--pacing, rhythm, words--should be associated with this character)
4.) fight songs (what's pumping through their brain OR swirling around them in a fight scenario)
5.) As you can imagine, the list goes on as far as you want to take it... ;-)

Have fun playing with building a playlist or three ;-) and if you're a textnovelist, link one to your novel so readers can listen along for fun!
~Saoirse
*Come back Thursday and meet author Eva Gordon of The Wolf Maiden Chronicles as we kick off our Dog Days of Summer BlogTour! Arrrrrooooo!

2 comments:

Nara Malone said...

This is interesting. My interactive novel, Greyhound Summer, is built around a character who is a musician denying her gift and I've been using links to music and videos to express her feelings about situations. I just haven't figured out how to get clickable links in the textnovel version yet.

Someone on the site said my interactive technique reminded them of what you did, so I dropped in on the blog to say hi.

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Hi Nara,

Glad you stopped by. :-) I just cleared all my polls and playlists from the blog this morning in preparation for The Dog Days of Summer BlogTour guests who start appearing this Thursday.

I noticed your question about links on my Twitter account (right before Twitter paused to do their maintenance--I had actually just hit send to my reply--talk about timing!).

I need to pop over to "13 to Life" on TN and jab at the html to figure out what the code was, but I can probably dig it up for you and Tweet back tonight.

Thanks for stopping by and good luck on Textnovel.com! I'll peek at Greyhound Summer as soon as I can. :-)
~Saoirse