Friday, July 10, 2009

Dog Days of Summer: Mark David Gerson (continued)


Yesterday you were introduced to the inspirational author of the award-winning fantasy novel The MoonQuest, Mark David Gerson. And hopefully you're also aware of this week's prize pack!

Today Mark David has again joined us to discuss something many authors wonder and worry about--crossing genres. And more importantly, how and if that concept applies when you are writing the novel that is truly in your heart. Mark David also discusses what he feels is the biggest obstacle facing authors today--will you agree? Leave a comment (and be entered to win Mark David's 2 CD set of meditations for writers).

You've written a fantasy novel and what some might call a self-help novel--why did you decide to cross genres and do you have advice for other authors who'd like to?

I love the way you framed this question. It makes it sound as though I made conscious choices to write either of these books!The MoonQuest "happened" to me one evening when I was teaching a writing class and decided to do the exercise I had just presented. What emerged was the first draft of a novel I knew nothing about and had no conscious plan to write. (I told this story in more detail a while back on my New Earth Chronicles blog: http://newearthchronicles.com/2007/05/horse-or-two-of-different-color.html.

The Voice of the Muse was also not consciously planned. I wrote many of its inspirational vignettes originally for myself, longhand in my car, at a time when I was feeling stuck in my own writing. It was only a few years later, when The MoonQuest was with an agent, that it suddenly occurred to me that I might have enough material from those jottings to put into a book. I did, and The Voice of the Muse: Answering the Call to Write resulted.

For me, it's not about whether or not to cross genres. It's about writing the book that demands to be written by me, whatever its genre, and trusting in its inherent wisdom. The story (however you define it) always knows best!

What do you think the biggest obstacle facing aspiring authors today is?

Perhaps the biggest obstacle for any writer at any time is feeling as though she or he must write a certain way about a certain topic to meet a certain market need. The most authentic, powerful, transformative writing comes not from how others tell us how we should approach our craft or content but from a deep place within us. When we write what we must write, for ourselves first, there are no obstacles. All there is is one word and the next and then the next — written from one heart to another.

If what Mark David says resonates with you, I encourage you to consider taking the next step in your journey as a writer and investigating his books. The MoonQuest (slated for feature film production) and The Voice of the Muse: Answering the Call to Write .

One of the main reasons I'm hosting the Dog Days of Summer BlogTour is to allow my fabulous followers (yes, you!) and curious visitors an opportunity to stretch and grow by learning about other authors. Mark David's work gives us a great chance at exercising our muse. Check out his books The MoonQuest (slated for feature film production) and The Voice of the Muse: Answering the Call to Write on Amazon.com.

No comments: