Monday, August 31, 2009

13 to Life Book 2 Update and To Do List


So, book 2 in the 13 to Life series is currently in front of my first line betas. These are the folks that really search and scan and make my stomach knot because they ask the hard questions. Luckily, one of them has been returning comments in chunks already and none of it's coming back scary or freakish (neither did stuff in book 1, so I'm breathing a little more easily). I'm waiting to get a little more feedback (as I continue polishing--totally rethinking chapter breaks today and tomorrow) before I conclude polishing and ship it off to my editor at St. Martin's Press, the fabulous (he's the best editor I could have starting out, I believe) Michael Homler.

Book 2 is a bit grittier (and steamier) than book 1. Everything's ratcheted up a bit. I definitely put Jess and Pietr through their paces. And you get to see how a few of our secondaries become more important to the overall mess and mystery swirling around Junction.

So I thought I'd briefly share today's book 2 to do list (sans spoilers). Some of these things are VERY (oddly enough) important to the story--like a trail of breadcrumbs. I often know where the crumbs should fall while writing, but come back later to fix their path (hoping readers catch stuff and are rewarded by the little ah-ha! they get because they know something's up as Jess does).

These are things I'll be tweaking out today, tomorrow and Wednesday:
  1. Marvin calls Amy "Baby."
  2. Officer Kent's love of coffee is shown.
  3. Fix Jess's Dad's line about steering clear of all the Rusakovas.
  4. Weird Wanda raises a question regarding Kent's most brutal assignment.
  5. Jess wonders: "CIA?"
  6. Check: Da, Nyet, Yes, No choices (shh--these are actually important ;-)
  7. Recheck voice consistency.
  8. Cat warns "Language."
  9. Get some of Sarah's beautiful words in play.
  10. Check the level of intensity between Pietr, Jess and Derek throughout (does the physical match the mental/emotional?)
So what are you working on with your writing this week?
~Shannon (yup, it's decided I'm to go with my other name--not Saoirse--on the books *le sigh*)

2 comments:

Sheila Deeth said...

Oh wow! Thank you! You've no idea how much it means to see real live editing points. Well, probably, you have a perfectly good idea and that's why you posted this, but still. Thank you so much.

Saoirse Redgrave said...

Thank you, Sheila, I'm glad this is useful. I'll be trying to post helpful things here as I have time (and please feel free to ask me questions if you have them).

:-)