Thursday, August 13, 2009

Dog Days of Summer BlogTour: Melody Dawn McClarty


Up until now we've had published authors join us for the Dog Days of Summer BlogTour. I expanded what I was offering here because I think it's important to see what other aspiring authors are also going through. Too often in writing we presume that this is a solitary endeavor. We don't make contact we need to directly with other writers (and often we should). So I asked aspiring author Melody Dawn McClarty to introduce herself and share some of the things she's learning along the way, sharing those lessons with all of us.

Hi there …

My name is Melody Dawn McClarty and I’m a writer.

I’m so thrilled to be included in this blog tour and I’d like to take this moment to say thank you to our hosts for inviting me here.

Right now I’m working on a paranormal romance series and a novel. I am also about to publish 3 poetry books which will be available soon.

Melody is currently writing Paranormal Romance, Science Fiction, Fantasy and Poetry--different genres, but ones that can crossover nicely.

I think that the moment we start to identify ourselves as writers is crucial, so I asked the authors interviewed here about their writing genesis. Melody said:

I’ve been writing on and off again since I was small child. I’ve always done poetry, stories, adventures or journals. As a kid, life was hard and I really didn’t have the confidence in myself to really try to seriously write even though many of my creative writing teachers were convinced that I would go on to be a writer.

I didn’t begin to entertain the idea of becoming a writer until about 2007. It was at this time that I went through a huge transition in my life and found that I really had a need to write. That realization lead to the fact that I really needed to learn the craft of writing. From then on, it’s been one huge process which has open up many wonderful doors for me. Now I can’t imagine myself doing anything else.

Who are your favorite authors?

Okay this question is a tough one. I read a lot of books. Picking just a few authors out of so many talented people is hard. Each have their own merits.

Some of my favorites are J. R. Tolkien, J. K. Rowling, Dan Brown, Jane Austin, Emma Bull, Michael Crichton, Stephen King, Ray Bradbury, Alan Dean Foster, Joss Whedon, Anne Rice, Sherrilyn Kenyon and Arthur C. Clarke. That’s just to name a few.

Please notice that the names Melody lists stretch across many years in popularity and encompass many different writing styles, though they are also in related genres (mainly). Reading diversely is a great thing for a writer to do--I advise it heartily!

Find out more about Melody and what shes doing on her Website: www.melodydawnmcclarty.com.

Join us tomorrow to learn more about this aspiring author and the contest we'll run this week for a couple free books (previous winners--if you haven't sent me your physical address, I cannot send you your prizes!). Now go and read something that will strengthen your writing! :-)

4 comments:

Sherryelyn said...

Melody, I think it's wonderful that you are continuing to pursue your dreams, and focusing on your writing. I enjoy your vision and your perspective.

Sherrye

Melody Dawn said...

Sherreylyn,

Thanks so much for you to say. You
rock! :) I can't wait to share with everyone my writings and my upcoming poetry books.

Melody Dawn

Sheila Deeth said...

Nice to meet you Melody, and thank you for this post. I found it really hard to call myself a writer. It's great to be encouraged like this.

Melody Dawn said...

Hi Sheila

Your very welcome. I know EXACTLY what you mean. It was very hard for me at first to call myself a writer but I had been writing on my own for years. It took another published writer to tell YOUR A WRITER !

I personally think that is one of the biggest first steps that a writer can take. :)

Glad to hear it helped you

Melody Dawn