Friday, September 18, 2009

Twitter #fridayflash from Fast Draft of 13 to Life Book 3

For those of you following my writing progress here, you know 13 to Life book 1 copyedits are headed my way, book 2's on my editor's desk and I'm writing book 3 in a fast draft (or "dirty draft") fashion, pumping out at least 5000 words a day with the encouragement of my accountability partner Ann Aguirre (author of Blue Diablo, Grimspace, and the upcoming Doubleblind). And I have a cover (a pretty, pretty cover) I'll make public as soon as I can. BUT. Here is a scene from book 3 that I recently roughed out. It's only a rough draft, but I thought it might give you a glimpse... I hope you enjoy it...

The forest was dark, cold, strangling in the grasp of an unseasonably cold autumn unwilling to commit to winter’s snowy and muffling blanket. I stumbled forward, heading for the few creaking swings that spun off the old park’s swing set’s belly, twisting and squealing in the wind.

I grabbed a swing and sat, hearing the seat creak beneath me. I was waiting for something. I knew it.

Something skimmed the shadows, something dark and grim and beautiful, ghosting along and teasing the dappled moonlight as it stayed just beyond reach — just beyond the brush of starlight’s subtle fingers.

“Pietr,” I breathed, something deeper than physical recognition pushing his name from my lips, as it pushed my heart into my thickening throat.

And then he was before me, lean and lovely, cloaked in night’s skittering shadow. At once too beautiful and wild for moonlight to dare touch him and yet so proud and powerful -- how could even cool moonlight resist? Before me, his image stuttered, one moment Wolf, the next moment not — his spirit equally both and none at the same time.

I stood, releasing the swing’s chains, my hands numb from where my fingers pressed the links so deep they were engraved in my palms.

Behind me the swings screamed, metal grating and howling as chains twisted in the same breeze that tugged my hair out around my face, teasing my vision with Pietr’s image and then blotting him out to leave me nothing. I wrenched the hair back from my eyes, hunting and hungry for another glimpse of him.

He filled my vision and I gasped at his nearness, heat washing across me, radiating off his smooth skin. The frigid sting of fall was forgotten, winter but a weakly whispered rumor as Pietr wrapped me in his arms and crushed his hungry lips to mine.

21 comments:

Liane Gentry Skye said...

OMG. If I didn't love you so much, I'd hate you. ;) This is fabulous. And...uh...my dirty drafting loosely resembles my grocery list. Yours is like...art!

SarannaDeWylde said...

I have to agree with Liane! Your prose is beautiful, your descriptions each like a snowflake, unique and lovely.

Your heroine is so intense, that's the perfect voice for someone her age. I can't wait for the first book to come out. I'm going to gobble them all up like cake!

Shannon Reinbold-Gee said...

Thank you so much Liane. *g* Seriously--I do appreciate that sentiment (A LOT). Remember dirty drafting and fast drafting looks like totally different things for different people. I'm lucky I've got a cooperative muse (most days;-).

I do have some spots in different sections of the fast draft where I have bracketed notes (when I realize my muse is skipping ahead or running out of order according to logic or when there's a Russian phrase I need to double check or when there's a word I've forgotten). Luckily my story writing isn't like my correspondence. ;-)

Shannon Reinbold-Gee said...

Thank you, Saranna! :-)

My character Jess is definitely something else. At the beginning of all this I wondered if she'd work with me (I kind of let the characters run ahead while I play newspaper reporter or maybe biographer, trying to jot down what I see). But Jess and Pietr are (generally *grumble, grumble*) cooperative. For teenage protagonists. LOL. I've become quite attached to them.

Laura Eno said...

Gorgeous! And this is a dirty draft? Thank you for posting this to #fridayflash and welcome!

Marisa Birns said...

Absolutely wonderful! Props to you and your Muse!

Sheila Deeth said...

This is a draft? I love it!

Ann Aguirre said...

Wow, I have to agree. That's amazing.

Shannon Reinbold-Gee said...

Laura, Thank you for the warm welcome to Twitter's #fridayflash (what fun!).

Thanks, Marisa--my muse treats me pretty well when I ply her with coffee after a good night's sleep. ;-)

Thanks, Sheila! Not all my drafts are this pretty, but they are relatively "clean" of major issues. But I'm also lucky that I have a very visual mind, so I'm literally seeing the stuff and hearing it in my head as I type it. After the draft then I do all my logic and consistency checks and read it out loud to see if it sounds pretty good. This one just came out pretty clean, considering it's a dirty draft.

Thank you, Ann--I really appreciate hearing that from you. I've just got so much of Jess in my head right now she dribbles out my ears sometimes.

You all would not be nearly so impressed if I'd thrown in the scene of Alexi playing with the shot glass while he talks to Jess about Pietr. Ug. Ly. ;-)

Thank you SO much for stopping by! :D

Ann Aguirre said...

I'm flashing too!

Shannon Reinbold-Gee said...

Ann--Awesome--I'm SO coming over there to check it out! :-)

Kaite (@TheBusyMystic) said...

That was wonderful. Bringing new meaning to the term "dirty" drafting. what a tease you are, missy!!Thanks for posting that, can't wait for next Friday to see if you'll put up some more! Thanks for the inspiration! -K

Shannon Reinbold-Gee said...

Thank you, Kaite, LOL! Glad you stopped in and checked out Ann's work, too. :-)

netta said...

Would my "dirty drafts" looked so good! This is lovely, and I can't wait to read more.

Very nicely done :)

The Writer said...

This is great, I enjoyed reading a little sample of what you are working on. Take care.

Shannon Reinbold-Gee said...

Thank you Netta and The Writer. I generally am very careful about what I put out and at what stage in its development, but I feel pretty good about this snippet. Thanks for stopping in. :-)

Anthony Deaver said...

The level of jealously for have such a great story in such a 'rough' shape is incredible. Amazing job!

J. M. Strother said...

Welcome to #fridayflash.

I love the vivid imagery here. Nicely done. And congratulations on the book deal! Outstanding.
~jon

Shannon Reinbold-Gee said...

Thank you Anthony (I appreciate the jealousy--I take it as quite a compliment ;-). I'll admit my muse was quite generous for this piece. :-)

Thanks, Jon. I appreciate the warm welcome--#fridayflash is a pretty amazing concept. :-) My book deal was one of those things that totally blew me away! I feel very fortunate to have gotten picked up now by such a great publishing house and such a wonderful editor (especially as everyone's talking about the state of publishing and the economy).

shannon esposito said...

oooo, this has sort of a Twilight feel to it. (and that can only be a good thing with her success!) Wonderful writing, best of luck with this one!

Shannon Reinbold-Gee said...

Thank you, Shannon, I'll take that as a compliment considering the level of Stephenie Meyer's success with her work. I enjoyed Twilight (and have been told 13 to Life will be compared to it frequently although our stories and characters are hugely different :-).

Thanks for stopping by! :-)