Tuesday, October 20, 2009

NaNoWriMo No-Go

Today I have a pretty important interview. Well, an important interview with a pretty important newspaper. Something like that. And I'm working on my NaNoWriMo stuff--just picking at it, really. I have two stories that could be written for NaNo and I'm currently torn between them.

One has this great, deep and pretty unique setting (a deep milieu) and a strange paranormal situation to launch the whole thing, but my protagonist is staying pretty quiet. It's like she doesn't want to say enough for it to be 1st person POV (like the 13 TO LIFE series) and although she's shown me a huge chunk of her story, I'm just not sure she's my NaNo girl.

The other one is a thinner setting (still paranormal) and is definitely character driven. And Maddie's talking to me quite a bit, but we're a little concerned about our boy. He's really a loose cannon and although I could write a loose cannon I'm not sure readers could easily follow him or fall for him. Eh, maybe.

There's also the standbys. I have a series I started years back that my DH really wants me to rewrite, but it's just sort of chilling in the back of my head. It's not pounding to get out like it used to. And there are approximately 30+ other ideas I've started to flesh out, but they're all sort of jockeying for position. No one's screaming to lead the pack.

So what story will I do for NaNo? I don't know. I just hope one will really announce itself as the winner before I have to flip a coin or roll an eight-sided die or something. ;-)

3 comments:

Sheila Deeth said...

Good luck finding the one that's going to work. All those characters talking to you. I'm sure one will just take you aside and refuse to be ignored.

Robin said...

Eight sided die--you a D&D player? The things I learn about you.

No NaNo for me this year. Working so hard to get FAE NIGHTS done over on textnovel and the 4 other stories I'm chugging away on, and the two toddlers who seem to think they need me all the time (well, they kinda do) I'll just deal with NaNo next year.

Shannon Delany said...

Sheila, that's usually the way it goes--one of them finally makes it clear that it's their turn and off we go.

Robin--I'm not admitting anything! ;-) Absolutely understandable. There's always next year...And GothNoWriMo...

~Shannon