Saturday, November 28, 2009

Big Holiday Book Blitz: Recommended Reads for YA


I love books and I love writing (big surprise, right)? So a little while ago, I asked readers here to recommend YA novels for other readers. If you're coming up short for suggestions about books to buy for holiday gift-giving, here are the ones that came up at the top of the list for my blog's readers.

1.) One of MY picks for the year: TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY by debut author Jay Asher. An amazing split POV showing the circumstances that snowballed and led to one girl giving up on life and the way the knowledge of those circumstances impacts one of the people she left behind. I cannot recommend this novel highly enough. That's why I went back and bought additional copies. Just gave one away as a prize, too.

2.) One of my readers strongly suggests: THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS series by Cassandra Clare which includes: CITY OF BONES, CITY OF ASHES, and CITY OF GLASS. <--recently read CoB, good--action packed with a hint of romantic elements.

3.) Also suggested was

Melissa Marr's work: WICKED LOVELY <--I agree with this one, liked her FRAGILE ETERNITY, too.

4.) 100% WOLF by Jayne Lyons was suggested by a reader "for those wanting to introduce younger children to the paranormal universe in a fun way. My eight year old loves Freddie's adventures, actually read some of this on his own for the first time!"

5.) One reader said, "I read BAD APPLE by Laura Ruby last month and I fell in love with it. It's a book about bullies, crushes and just being yourself. Quirky characters and amazing writing, I highly recommend it."

6.) A blog reader suggested James Dashner's THE MAZE RUNNER "- amazing book on so many levels," the reader said.

7.) The same reader (from 6) also said, "And BEAUTIFUL CREATURES - took me a bit to get into it, but once I did - it was amazing!" <--This one's by Kami Garcia--I'm curious about this one, heard great things from some book bloggers about it.

8.) ALONG FOR THE RIDE by Sarah Dessen. "She's a very talented author and every character she creates, you just can't help but love them. I highly recommend this book." <--this one's on my TBR pile. :-)

9.) "...
ICE by Sarah Beth Durst which I never would have bought myself but won it from Jeri's [Jeri Smith-Ready's blog--Jeri has a YA novel SHADE coming out in Spring 2010] Blogtoberfest. (I owe Jeri much thanks because I discovered 13 to Life there too!) I didn't think I would like it but I LOOVED it! Easily the best book I have read all year."

10.) "...Lucienne Diver's snarky YA take on vampires, VAMPED. If you like YAs and you like vampires, you'll love this book." <--Agreed! If ever there was a perfect vampire beach book, VAMPED is it. 11.) "I recommend DEMON PRINCESS by Michelle Rowen to everyone!"

12.) "Okay, this YA is an oldie but a goodie that I keep re-reading. It also happens to be hard to find, so snatch up a copy if you happen to see it--It's called THE GROUNDING OF GROUP 6 by Julian Thompson. A group of "bad kids" are sent to a rehabilitation camp by their parents. Soon they find out that it is really just a way for their parents to get rid of them, literally. It will stay in your brain. I promise."

13.) Another reader said: "I won Megan Crewe's GIVE UP THE GHOST from Jeri's Octoberfest and loved it."

14.) I (Shannon again) also suggest Orson Scott Card's ENDER'S GAME for YA sci-fi.

15.) Another of MY picks--Robin McKinley's THE HERO AND THE CROWN.

16.) And another--Robin McKinley's THE BLUE SWORD.

17.) And this one--THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES by Holly Black. Great for younger teens and the tweens who may have missed the series before it hit the big screen.

18.) THE CHRONICLES OF VLADIMIR TOD by Heather Brewer. This series is especially good (in my--Shannon's--humble opinion) if you're buying for a reluctant young teen male reader.

19.) We'd be remiss to leave out the following classics: A WRINKLE IN TIME; THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE; THE GIVER.

*FTC Notice: A.) I'm not a book blogger (I *buy* books, I read, sometimes I blog about the books I read); B.) My readers who were kind enough to make suggestions relating to books they've read are doing the publishing industry a service--it's called word-of-mouth and I appreciate it--gives me more ideas of what to buy and give as prizes; C.) If you're with the FTC and you're actually reading this right now, I'm guessing you've got too much time on your hands and perhaps government spending needs to be re-examined... Again.

Happy holidays (buy a book!)!
~Shannon

7 comments:

Becky said...

I'm reading Beautiful Creatures at the moment. I'm on pg 149 and so far I love it. Really refreshing to read a book from a male character's point of view. I feel like I'm getting a glimpse of something I've always wondered about.

City of Bones I highly recommend. The Mortal Instruments is one of my favourite series.

Vildea said...

Some of these books I've read and a lot of them are on my wishlist. I adored City of Bones and I'd like to add Sarah Rees Brennan's Demon Lexicon which is a fantastic read (the main character might be off-putting, but trust me, it's so worth it in the end!).

The Set-Up by Sophie McKenzie is also a fun read :)

Other than that... *Eyes bookshelf* Libba Bray's the Gemma Doyle trilogy is a must-read as far as I'm concerned, amazingly written and tons of fun (and action-filled!)

OH! I remember now, the must-have(s) for this Christmas (not for me, I already have 'em but I plan on giving 'em to a friend as well); The Darkest Powers by Kelley Armstrong, or more specifically; The Summoning and The Awakening (sequel). For those in love with Urban Fantasy, werewolves, witches and thrillers - this is a brilliant, fantastic and action-packed read. Read it!

Cece Writer said...

*Gasp! Wait I have some!

The Casts's House of the Night books (at least the first three which I've read :D) for your vamp lovers

Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games and Catching Fire for your dystopian Earth lovers.

Lisa McMann's Fade (And Wake--both in 3rd present tense and/but very well done) for your angsty teen lovers who want something that doesn't include vamps LOL

now just titles, The Forest of Hands and Teeth (Dark), Eyes Like Stars (Wry), The School For Dangerous Girls (Sorta dark, no paranormal, sorta Lord of the Flies but w/adults), Bite Me (fun southern vamp teens) and Robin Wasserman's new series (Skinned and Crashed for your post-apocalyptic earth lovers).

Um wow I need to get out more LOL

Amie

Cece Writer said...

I have to second Vildea's vote for the Armstrong series. Also, I have HERO in my TBR Pile Author's name escapes me, I started it but have to get back to it (I do that a lot)...it involves super powers, teens and the hero is (I believe) gay.

Amie

Cece Writer said...

oops LOL and for your boys who like fantasy and adventure Chinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms Series (The Warrior Heir, The Wizard Heir, The Dragon Heir and The Demon King). My son loves these (there really ARENT enough books for boys out there) and I really enjoyed the first one. It'd be good for younger boys too (IE 6th grade'ish).

Um Amie Again

Sara ♥ said...

A couple more suggestions: Lipstick Apology, Shiver, and Fiver Finger Fiction. All great YA books :-)

Shannon Delany said...

These are GREAT suggestions! Thank you all for stopping in and commenting--I'm going to have to add to my list tomorrow! :-)

~Shannon