Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Belated B-day to YA Cell Phone Novel 13 TO LIFE! Contest!


Yesterday was November 24. This simple fact only occurred to me this morning after the coffee started brewing this morning. November 24th of 2008 was the day I began posting my cellphone novel 13 TO LIFE over at Textnovel.com . A year and a day later, my novel has won the first-ever cellphone novel contest in the western world, landed me an agent, a multibook deal with St. Martin's Press and is scheduled for release June 22, 2010 under the St. Martin's Griffin imprint.

It blows my mind.

So I want to do a little celebration to mark the occasion. If you know me, you know I believe even small things need to be celebrated. And, if you know me, you know I want what I do to help others.

First--the prize: TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY by author Jay Asher. This is a hardcover YA novel I got at the Penguin Warehouse Booksale this year. I got a single copy initially. I read about 150 pages (and kept telling my husband and friends about it) and knew I needed to get more to give away. So we hauled back to the sale (an hour's drive easily) and I snatched up 2 other copies. I think I should have gotten even more, frankly, that's how amazing this book is.

Here's part of the Booklist blurb (found at Amazon.com):

When Clay Jenson plays the casette tapes he received in a mysterious package, he's surprised to hear the voice of dead classmate Hannah Baker. He's one of 13 people who receive Hannah's story, which details the circumstances that led to her suicide. Clay spends the rest of the day and long into the night listening to Hannah's voice and going to the locations she wants him to visit. The text alternates, sometimes quickly, between Hannah's voice (italicized) and Clay's thoughts as he listens to her words, which illuminate betrayals and secrets that demonstrate the consequences of even small actions.

The awesomeness of this author's debut novel can only be experienced if you read it--and I want you to.

So here's the contest to win your copy of Th1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY:


  1. Leave a comment here with an email where I can get you in case you win.
  2. AND tell me the title and author of one YA novel you've read this year that you would recommend EVERYONE read. Those titles will go into my Holiday Book Blitz List which will be posted here so parents and teens can see what novels were recommended (before plunging into the madness of Black Friday and Cyber Saturday).
  3. The contest will run from NOW to Black Friday (that's November 27th at noon EST).
  4. On Black Friday we'll roll the dice to see who wins. Then I'll contact you through the email you left for a real address and ship out your book!

So. Hopefully this contest helps one lucky winner of the novel and helps parents, teens and authors with book shopping and holiday madness through YOUR recommendations.

Good luck!
~Shannon

11 comments:

Colleen said...

I read Bad Apple by Laura Ruby last month and I fell in love with it. It's a book about bullies, crushes and just being yourself. Quirky characters and amazing writing, I highly recommend it.

celtic_aura(at)hotmail(dot)com

Book Crazy Jenn said...

I just found your blog - Congratulations, what a year it's been for you! :)

For me the best book - well I have 2.

James Dashner's The Maze Runner - amazing book on so many levels

And Beautiful Creatures - took me a bit to get into it, but once I did - it was amazing!


I cant wait to read your book! :)
Jenn
Jenn@ book-crazy.com

Little_Dhampir91 said...

My recommendation would have to be Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen. She's a very talented author and every character she creates, you just can't help but love them. I highly recommend this book.

Little_Dhampir@live.com.au

Casse AKA Catholic Kittie said...

I read Ice by Sarah Beth Durst which I never would have bought myself but won it from Jeri's blogtoberfest. (I owe Jeri much thanks because I discovered 13 to Life there too!) I didn't think I would like it but I LOOVED it! Easily the best book I have read all year. I read a lot of books too! I have been talking about this book everywhere I go. Ice - Sarah Beth Durst Cassanrose@gmail.com

Deborah Blake said...

I read Lucienne Diver's snarky YA take on vampires, VAMPED. If you like YAs and you like vampires, you'll love this book.

RKCharron said...

Hi :)
I recommend DEMON PRINCESS by Michelle Rowen to everyone!
Thank you for the opportunity to win and congratulations on your Bday celebration for 13 to Life.
I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow.
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo
PS - email's in Blogger Profile
(rkcharron at gmail.com)

Robin said...

Okay, this YA is an oldie but a goodie that I keep re-reading. It also happens to be hard to find, so snatch up a copy if you happen to see it--It's called THE GROUNDING OF GROUP 6 by Julian thompson. A group of "bad kids" are sent to a rehabilitation camp by their parents. Soon they find out that it is really just a way for their parents to get rid of them, literally. It will stay in your brain. I promise.

Shannon Delany said...

These are great suggestions! I'll definitely add these to the Holiday Book Blitz List! :-) Can't wait to be able to give this novel away--it's terrific!

Sheila Deeth said...

I won Megan Crewe's Give up the Ghost from Jeri's Octoberfest and loved it.

sdeeth at msn dot com

Shannon Delany said...

Casse--I'm emailing you today! Your number came up as our lucky winner!

Congrats!
~Shannon

Jessica Kennedy said...

I know I'm too late for the contest but I wanted to mention that I read and loved The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. I've been pushing those books on everyone!

And I agree about The Maze Runner. I finished that one last week. It was very good. Looking forward to book 2.