Tuesday, December 8, 2009

On This YA Author's Plate

I like to think that by you reading about the experiences I have during this first year+ of my writing and publishing experience, that you will wind up being more prepared for the reality of it all when you land your first NYC contract.

So, just so you see what's on my plate this week:

1.) Snow-prep at two farms (this is the regular life stuff that simply doesn't stop--and it grounds you).
2.) Reassure and ready 1st time chatters who are joining us for a Twitter hashtag chat with the #Classof2K10 (a great group of YA and MG debut authors I have the pleasure of being associated with). Chat's 8pm Thursday the 10th at #Classof2K10.
3.) Run errands in town (more life stuff).
4.) Send out prizes I had hoped to send at the end of LAST week!
5.) Conference call this afternoon with St. Martin's Press. Attending will be my editor, the marketing guru, someone from publicity, my agent and moi. We're discussing marketing/promo plans. The book being up already at Amazon, Indigo and BAM sort of surprised a few of us and now we need to make sure we're on the same page (or at least in the loop with what everyone's planning for 13 TO LIFE's success). By the way, the call starts 15 minutes before my 5 yo gets off his bus from kindergarten. Timing. Is. Everything. ;-)
6.) Host the hashtag chat Thursday.
7.) Keep up at Goodreads, do my weekly post at TextnovelDivas.com (TODAY!), prep for a guest appearance at Brooklyn Ann's blog (Supernatural Smut <--LOL, I love the name!) on Friday.
8.) Update my Textnovel stuff.
9.) Update my Twitter stuff.
10.) Try and figure out what to do with Facebook.
11.) Talk to webdesigner again.
12.) Write up a letter to send to local schools about chatting with their students about the power of creative writing and positive self-expression.
13.) More phone calls about book signings the week of the book's release.

And frankly, that's condensed because right now I have to run and deal with trash and the beginning of the list...

Wish me luck!
~Shannon
(And have a great--and hopefully sane--week yourself!)

6 comments:

Book Crazy Jenn said...

Good luck - I cant wait to read 13 to Life!

Sara ♥ said...

Um. Holy BUSY! Though I wouldn't mind having some of those on my to do list (aka meetings with publishers/editors, web designing, book signing decisions...)

I'm so bummed that my husband's work holiday party is on Thursday :-( Will transcripts from the chat be posted? Also - have you told any of the #yalitchat people about it - I can bet there would be a LOT of them interested in your chat!!

Shannon Delany said...

Thanks, Jenn, the animals are set--even if the snow gives us trouble they'll be fed and cozy. I can't wait for 13 to Life hit shelves--I'm so glad you're excited, too! :D

Sara--I totally understand and I keep in mind that even when I'm stressed and dealing with lots of stuff, lots of people would like to be me (at least until the sheep need to have grain--then, not so much ;-). I'm sorry your hubby's party is on Thursday (but have a great time!). I'll have to see if I can make sure a transcript's available and thanks--it's a great idea to specifically invite some of the #yalitchat folks!

Thank you both for stopping in!
~Shannon

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

WOW, good luck! Arrgh, snow always happens to come at the most inopportune moments; when I want it, it doesn't come, and when I don't want to go shovel the driveway, it falls inches thick.
And, ohh, I actually didn't know book signings would be planned that early. You should definitely stop by Maryland *hint hint*. But yeah, hope all of it goes smoothly! :)

Shannon Delany said...

Hey Jenn!

I have family in NJ and PA, so book signings in MD are certainly not impossible. I'll be booking (no pun intended ;-) signings throughout winter so I get the places and times I want (or close to it).

Take care!
~Shannon

Casse AKA Catholic Kittie said...

Can't I be the insanely popular best selling reclusive type of writer? *hives* seriously. How do you do it? lol