Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Weird Wednesday Writing Prompts: Real Life Stranger than Fiction?

Here are some strange things that may get your brain thinking outside of the box...

1.) Ever thought that being incarcerated was a better deal than living life as a free citizen? (My father used to tell us tales of local homeless men who--when Dad was a kid--would commit minor crimes so they'd be thrown in jail on the coldest nights of the year, so not such a surprise to me, I guess.) Read the first story at News of the Weird. My mind immediately goes to what other reasons might you want to be kept in a prison--what things on the outside might make prison the safer option?

2.) And check out the lead story on my birthday about how love can mess you up. ;-) Consider in your own writing: What ways might a character change their belief system and behavior when faced with falling in love for someone who seems to be their opposite?

Hmm. Hope those get you thinking...
~Shannon

2 comments:

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Hm, didn't really think about that. I suppose jails can provide you protection if you're on the run from some crazy intense mom? :D
Lol, nice; the Illuminati. I guess everything can be changed depending on what the other person wants or thinks. I can't really pinpoint it, because I feel that different people, and therefore different couples, value different things.
Interesting questions!

Shannon Delany said...

Hi Jenn!

I think as a writer I have to keep asking what if (and, ironically, in my NaNo project I actually used the jail concept in an odd sort of way). And yeah, getting away from a difficult or dangerous family member might make jail look appealing if you can't see any other options.

I agree with you about different people valuing different things--that's what helps build chemistry and conflict both in real life and in fiction. :-) Seeing people reach compromise or understanding? That's the HEA, I think.

Thanks so much for stopping in!
~Shannon