Sunday, March 21, 2010

Chronology of a YA Debut Series

Let's look at book 2's chronology (and book 1's for context) from the writer's perspective (readers, avert thine eyes and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain--sometimes it's best just to enjoy a final product ;-).
  1. 13 to Life's yellow ARC comes out to be passed to authors with an eye to blurb.
  2. I go to RWA in DC and hand one off to Lucienne Diver of VAMPED and meet other authors I'm impressed by.
  3. I sit in Anne Stuart's presentation on Dark Heroes and realize what's been bugging me about the start to book 2. I rewrite the beginning around midnight in my hotel room's bathroom so as to not disturb my roomie (thank God for laptops).
  4. Blurbs for 13 to Life start coming in. And some more movie interest.
  5. Rights are sold to Hungary.
  6. Book 2 is written and sent to a couple CPs and my agent for input.
  7. Book 3 is written in two weeks using the Fast Draft method (and the encouragement of Ann Aguirre who read 13 to Life and blurbed it).
  8. My next WiP is written during NaNoWriMo (as I'm also doing copyedits--or was it first pass pages?--I'd have to check).
  9. 13 to Life (btw, we're dropping "A Werewolf's Tale" and keeping it simple) gets its cover and pretty ARCs are made (and distributed).
  10. I make some revisions to book 2.
  11. Book 2 lands on Michael's desk. He reads it and says he thinks it's even better than book 1. This makes me very happy. He gives me minor (and great) suggestions. I take those minor suggestions and poke and prod at book 2 some more (in my charmingly neurotic way). Book 2 loses some weight, gains it in different (more attractive) areas and tones up a little more. I am jealous of book 2's ease of getting into better shape. ;-)
  12. Book 2 returns to Michael for acceptance (and to be sent on to the copyedit department). We are well ahead of schedule based on my contract, but right on time based on my personal goals.
  13. Rights are sold to Brazil.
  14. Michael asks me for jacket copy for 13 to Life (and a new, shorter bio).
  15. I'm told SMP would like to include an ad for book 2 in the back of 13 to Life--we just need a summary and title.
  16. A bunch of us brainstorm on Twitter (a couple email me with bunches of ideas) and I pass titles back and forth with Michael a bunch of times.
  17. Michael officially accepts book 2 (which means I'll see another chunk of my advance pretty soon--once it passes through my agent's hands).
  18. Michael lets me know about book 2's title being chosen. For now.
NEXT:
Launch presentation will occur (at around the same time copyedits are probably coming my way and the first ARCs are being printed and the book cover for book 2 is soon going to be worked on). What happens at the launch presentation? From what I've gathered, the SMP group gets together, hears the book's summary, talks about ideas related to the book cover, title and marketing. Then I learn more about book 2's progress from my editor. :-)

Next for me (as far as writing goes)? Finish book 3 as thoroughly as I can before sending it to CPs, betas and my agent. (Then it's off to the editor.) Then I work on whipping my WiP from NaNoWriMo 2009 into shape and get ready to present it for a contract option soon after book 3's accepted officially. Nervous, anxious and excited? Oh yeah!

Thoughts and questions?
~Shannon

6 comments:

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Ohh, can't wait to read book 2 then!! And to hear the title, which I'm sure is just as awesome as 13 to Life. Excitement! :D

Courtney Rae said...

I was wondering how I can get an ARC of 13 to Life to review on my blog...

email: courtenyyrae@gmail.com

Courtney Rae said...

I'm sorry. wrong email.

email:
courtneyyrae@gmail.com

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

Book 3 in 2 weeks, darn you're good! I guess at this point, being the last of a triolgy, you know where it's headed & what you need to wrap up?

It's fun to see behind the scene, thanks for sharing :)

Lynsey Newton said...

It's interesting to see the process listed like that and how quickly the other books in the series were written, so soon after the first one! Of course you know I can't wait to read the book and I'm DYING to know the title for the second book! ;) P.S. how the hell do you write a book in 2 weeks? I bow DOWN to you Shannon! hehe

DJ said...

I really enjoyed reading this post and seeing the way everything is coming together. I can't wait to read 13 to Life!

DJ's Life in Fiction