Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Jacket Copy--SERENITY NOW!!!

So last night (right before bed) my husband pops open my email and says, "Hey. You've got something from Michael here." I immediately perk up and ask him to read it. It seems my debut novel's jacket copy is due this week and Michael (whom I adore) has changed what we had previously (not a bad idea at all) and has invited me to give my input.

Can I sleep after that? NO. I get up and write what I think would sound cool (because unfortunately I do tend to have an opinion about stuff). In the light of day it doesn't sound as cool (and is definitely too long) but I'm not 100% on the other option either. So I shout out to my Twitter followers (I adore them too, and frankly, they're kinda' like an on-call writer's group) and ask if there've been any books recently that they had to buy based on jacket copy.

Two suggestions pop up immediately: The Girl with Glass Feet and Prophecy of the Sisters. I checked them out. Yep. Gooood jacket copy from what I can tell. The problem is, although now my head's in the right place for revising mine I also want to buy two new books.

So I'm back to it, only taking a brief break for farm chores, coffee and to update my blogligations.

Wish me luck!
~Shannon

8 comments:

Jessica Kennedy said...

Good luck!

Another cover I just loved and would have bought for the cover alone would be Eyes Like Stars and Shiver.

Heather said...

Wow, I wouldn't have been able to sleep either! Those two books you got for recommendations do sound good... I'll have to check them out! Yay Jessica, another SHIVER jacket fan!

Best of luck Shannon, and no worries, your jacket cover will be fabulous :)

Shannon Delany said...

Thanks Jessica and Heather--I'll check out Eyes Like Stars, too. :-) And SHIVER did make it on my list as a third entry.

Have a great day, girls!
~Shannon

Cleverly Inked said...

Great choices

DJ said...

Some jacket's I've loved have been:

-Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
-Sea Change by Aimee Friedman
-Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
-Fallen by Lauren Kate
-The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

As Heather said, your jacket will be amazing and I can't wait to see it. By the way, has St. Martin's sent out the ARCs yet of 13 to Life?

Good luck!

DJ

L.J. Boldyrev said...

You can do it!!

Shannon Delany said...

Thanks Cleverly Inked, DJ and L.J.!

DJ--to answer your question--I don't think they have sent ARCs except to professional reviewers, LibraryThing and Goodreads for their contests. Sounds like it's not so easy to have more made up, either, so some reviewers may just land a finished copy in June (or potentially nothing at all, I guess). If I were you, I'd remind me you need my publicity gal (Katy's) email in late April or May then make your case to her regarding why you should score a copy. :-)

Hope that helps!
~Shannon

DJ said...

Hey! Thanks for replying to my question. I had sent a "request" to St. Martin's a little bit ago, but I wasn't sure when they might be sending them out. I'll wait to see if they send me one and if not, I'll ask for your publicist's email.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my comments and I hope all is going well!

DJ