Friday, April 9, 2010

Be CAUSE: An Introduction to Something New on the Blog

I have something to admit.

There's a line of thought among some authors warning against writers speaking up about causes and politics. Perhaps the fear goes back to public perception: "If they don't agree with my causes, they may not buy my book." Perhaps it's something more like: "We're just authors, building careers based on pleasing people--it's not our place to make waves."

As a debut author, I think one of the things I understand best is fear. Not because my books are terrifying works of contemporary gothic suspense or psychological thrillers but because I'm playing in the big leagues. My book's being compared to some tremendously popular works. It's terrifying most days. Instinct tells me to keep my head down, don't make waves, don't ask too many questions and certainly not favors.

But that goes against my grain as an author. I think expressing myself is very important. I believe expressing oneself creatively (instead of destructively) is a great thing. And words are my tools, so shouldn't I do something worthwhile with them?

So here's what I'm going to do:


Compromise (or wuss out, you decide).

I'm going to simply try and raise a little awareness about different groups doing different things to help different people (and continue moving forward with things I've built into my books already to help support certain upcoming super secret things--yes, that's like the definition of vague). I'm not endorsing any of the groups I mention, though I hope to list a number of them over time. I'm simply letting you know they exist. You can do the legwork and decide if they're worthy of your involvement and your voice.

Who do I blame for this current poking of my conscience? Katie at Mundie Moms leads the pack with Liane Gentry Skye, Jeri Smith-Ready, Shari Maurer, Heidi R. Kling and Jennifer Hubbard mixed in. These are all wonderful women with great hearts and important concerns (so I guess I'm endorsing THEM).

Each post that deals with a cause I hope you investigate will be labeled "Be CAUSE" and will have a number. Each will feature some info on the cause (and hopefully how you can get involved). If you have suggestions of causes you'd like mentioned, toss them into the comments. There are a couple I don't agree with due to business practices, so it's not impossible I'll pretend like I never saw that particular comment. If that happens, you may want to check them out a little more closely...

Okay. That's all from me on this today.

Take care!
~Shannon

3 comments:

Indigo said...

I think this is an excellent idea. In the long run, be it authors, actors, anyone in the spotlight - the fact remains all are human. (Hugs)Indigo

Sheila Deeth said...

An actor doesn't have to support good causes and I'll still watch the movie. Likewise a writer and I'll still read the book. But if the writer writes well and supports interesting causes, then I'm thankful to be introduced by good writing to good thinking. So thank you.

SarannaDeWylde said...

Yes, it is a fine line and I've tried very hard to do the right thing, but I have a voice so I'm going to use it.

What I'm not going to do is disrespect others while I support my causes or get mashed into a political debate.

I think we can still support the causes that mean so much to us without stepping on toes.

I think it's like the social networking dilemma... how much of yourself to expose. :)

It's not so much the causes you support, but how you support them and how you interact with those who do not.

And yeah, everyone check out Liane because she's made of win!