Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Charity and Fundraisers: Do All You Can


Those of you who know me may know I try to think about ways to help people whenever I can--my mother was a great inspiration to me in this way. She baked and decorated birthday cakes for children spending their birthday in the local homeless shelter. She supported me when I organized a fundraiser (under my other name) for St. Jude's (even as she was fighting cancer herself). Both my parents were big on volunteerism (and that was something they passed to their children).

It's because of their spirit and example I cut my hair short as frequently as I can for Locks of Love. (Btw, this is one of the simplest things you can do to help someone--this, giving blood and being an organ donor.)

When I get the chance to help someone, I try to do it (like I expect many of you do). I know lots of people have helped me--it's important to return the favor.

As you may know, I jumped to help with the "Do the Write Thing for Nashville," a great fundraiser devised by several wonderful authors to help finance flood relief. If you'd like to help out, please bid on something at the site (my items are only one of a multitude of options).

I'm also happy to say a jeweler on Etsy has taken it upon herself to create 13 to Life-inspired jewelry, (inspired by some of the symbols and items Jess encounters like the ivory rabbit and the amber heart) 100% of the proceeds of which will go to earthquake relief for Chile. I've included links here to both items as well.

I encourage you to do what you can to help with the charity of your choice as well. We all have things we can do to help each other.

Take care!
~Shannon

1 comment:

Mundie Moms said...

You are a great example to all of us! I grew up knowing how important it is to better someone's life from the small random acts of kindness, to hours of volunteer work to donating items to those in need. I love that my little kiddos have learned the same.

Heather is amazing for making the wonderful jewelry and for all she's done for Chile!