Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

It's Mother's Day. This is a tough holiday for me. I'm a mom, so I get to celebrate that I've helped create one of the coolest kids I think there could possibly be in the world. And it wasn't easy, but many women struggle far more than I did (and my heart goes out to them--this has to be an awful day for some still struggling).

With that in mind, I feel a bit selfish saying this.

But Mother's Day became more difficult for me when my mother died. And, at least for me, her loss is still strongly felt. She drifts by in my dreams from time to time--I catch her image in the corner of my eye, or hear her words tumble out of my mouth. Her southern accent colors my own speech from time to time--most often when I feel very strongly about something.

The first book in my 13 to Life series is dedicated to my mother, although she probably would have raised an eyebrow at the paranormal content (she was a good woman from a Southern Baptist background and a small railroad town called Bryson City).

Once you read the entire book and think about it a little you'll see the connection between her loss, Jessie's emotional roller coaster, my werewolves and Pietr's catch phrase. That connection is one of several things that makes 13 to Life different from other werewolf novels--beyond the voice, plot, characters and other details.

And not everyone will figure it out or see it clearly.

So. Call your mom today or give her a hug and a kiss. If she's no longer with you, remember her for the good she brought into your life--and the fact she brought you into this world when she didn't really have to. Even if you didn't always see eye-to-eye with your mother (and I didn't always, but that taught me to appreciate differences, too) still be thankful for her.

Take care!
~Shannon

2 comments:

Indigo said...

Beautiful post Shannon and wonderful tribute to your mother.

Happy Mother's Day sweet friend! (Hugs)Indigo

Mundie Moms said...

You dedication to your mom in 13th to Life moved me to tears! What a wonderful post and huge HUGS to you!