Monday, June 21, 2010

One. Day. More. At the Brink of a Debut's Release. 13 to Life Hits Shelves (officially) Tomorrow.


Those of you who've been brave enough to follow me for a while know that tomorrow, June 22, is a big day for me. It is officially when my debut novel "releases."

So what if as Books a Million was prepping to stock shelves in Virginia a week ago a savvy follower snagged a copy and devoured it in a night? Does it matter that Borders in several cities started selling the book in its brick and mortar stores last week, too, and that Barnes & Noble also let them leave their stores?

Yes. And no.

It's good for my ego that readers are so excited they're grabbing 13 to Life as soon as they can--I mean, that's tremendously flattering! And frankly, I don't yet understand enough about the way sales numbers and rankings work to know why a little earlier isn't a little better. Yes, I've heard this is all very much a numbers game. It sounds like some book stores get angry if others are allowed to start selling a title early.

And some authors sorta freak out if you pre-order from certain places (that don't count toward Bookscan numbers) or buy at a time other than in the first precious days after a book's official release date.

Me?

I'm glad you're so excited about 13 to Life that you're snapping copies up (and I sure do hope you enjoy it--and yes, readers, I have a bit of a cruel streak, but the second book in the series comes out in February 2011, so a lot of your questions will get answered then--and, yes, more questions will be raised [insert evil laugh]).

Tomorrow I'll celebrate 13 to Life's official book birthday by attending a party at the Colgate Bookstore in Hamilton, NY--see you at 4:30pm for pizza, cake and lots of fun! I'll also be announcing my biggest book giveaway on my blog to date and giving away yet another book on Twitter and another on the Facebook fanpage. Maybe I should give one away on Goodreads, too. Huh. I'll have to give it some thought.

Later this week I'll run around the local area to sign stock (really it's as much an excuse to explore new places and stop at a Panera's as anything else--well, almost). Then I'll wind up the month with more giveaways and 3 last interviews: Leah Cypess (MISTWOOD), Karen Kincy (OTHER) and Sarwat Chadda (DEVIL'S KISS; DARK GODDESS). Yep. We're ending the month with a bang (and two more in-person signings--Ithaca and Oneonta)!

Then it's finish book three, do some more signings and decide what's next.

Whew!

Happy Monday!
~Shannon

3 comments:

SarannaDeWylde said...

Eep! I'm so excited. I'll be picking up my copy tomorrow!! I'm doing the happy dance for you.

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

Woohoo! Almost there! :)

I posted my review today AND I'm giving away my ARC too!

Hugs!

Shannon Delany said...

Thanks, Saranna! I'm hoping to see you and Liane in Orlando--I hope, I hope!

Thanks, Jess! Glad you enjoyed the ARC--please make sure people trying to win it understand ARCs are different from finished copies. I read a few reviews recently where it was obvious the reader had no idea there was any difference between one and the other! LOL!

Take care, girls!
~Shannon