Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Shifting into High Gear: Kitty Keswick, Author of Freaksville, on Writing


Kitty's back!

Kitty Keswick, author of FREAKSVILLE, has returned one last time to talk to us a little about writing and publishing.
Her debut novel hit shelves earlier this year and is a fun and freaky read that includes (most importantly to me, at least) WEREWOLVES.

ME: How old were you when you started to enjoy writing?

KITTY: I’ve always written. I started really writing in high school, er, instead of reading, I wrote. Wasn’t the reader I am now.

ME: I preferred writing to reading early on, too. Where is your favorite place to write (or develop ideas) and why?

KITTY: I get most of my ideas either while I’m driving. The weirdest place is in the shower, something about the water…maybe because our bodies are made up of so much of it. When I’m in the middle of a story, I tend to keep a notebook near the tub in the event ideas bubble over.

ME: I like your theory about the water and our physical makeup--that's a story starter right there! How do stories start to develop in your mind? Do they often spark thanks to a picture, a personal experience, a song or a phrase or something you jotted in a dream journal, or...?

KITTY: I’m very visual. I “see” my stories, as if I’m watching on the screen as they unfold. I often dream them and then fill in the blanks.

ME: That's great! I think it's easier that way, seeing it and writing it. Being an adult, how do you stay in touch with the youthful voice you need to maintain in order to write YA?

KITTY: I’ve been told my voice is very young. I write sorta like I speak. I guess it’s good for YA. When trying to get the voice right for Freaksville I did hang out at the mall and jotted down a few phrases. But Kasey and her BFF Gillie had their own language that stemmed from being friends from birth. So that just flowed out.

ME: The friendship between Gillie and Kasey is definitely cool and believable! I believe there's no single path to publication that's the "only" path or the "right" path. What was unique (or at least different) about your path to publication?

KITTY: My original publisher shut down their YA line and my story was sold to a new (better) publisher.

ME: Kitty, like Judith Graves (UNDER MY SKIN), made the leap to Leap Books!

Get your copy of FREAKSVILLE today!

Thank you so much, Kitty, for helping us shift things into high gear around here!
~Shannon

3 comments:

Kitty Keswick said...

Hey Shannon,thanks for letting me hang I had alot of fun having you on my blog too.
Kitty

Shannon Delany said...

Thanks, Kitty. My followers keep slipping into lurk mode (darn werewolves ;), but I'm glad I was able to give you and Freaksville some well-deserved attention.

*hugs!*
~Shannon

Cleverly Inked said...

Loved the review..Like seeing a movie. Having a home movie system right in your head must save you lots of money :D