Thursday, August 5, 2010

Back from RWA and Getting Back on Track

Okay, long story short, getting ready for RWA the following things happened:

  1. Got invited by the lovely folks over at Tor.com's blog to participate in blogs with their special paranormal summer event. Did I jump in and blog? Heck yeah! Did I have time to blog? Yee-aah--NO. Did it anyhow. Here's What About Love? And here's That New Kid Smell.
  2. A neighbor offered to watch our farm in our absence (for a small fee--hey, it's work!). Seems she wanted to have a farm of her own eventually. Well... We've cured her of that, it seems. (A goose dying dramatically and sheep managing to get out of their pasture on day 1 seem to have put a damper on her desire to farm.)
  3. I got the final cover for Secrets and Shadows (book 2 of the 13 to Life series). And, Secrets and Shadows is already up for pre-orders at Amazon.com. 13 to Life itself just released in the UK, by the way! Thanks to anyone who loved it and posted reviews! !LOVE!
  4. I was awarded a lovely blog award I still need to pass on.
  5. My big box of books contest drew to a close. I'll be figuring out the math on that tomorrow and announcing a winner.
  6. I got asked by the fantabulous Gwen at Fresh Fiction to do a video interview Friday morning. Did I say yes? Of course! (And then I consumed almost no chocolate or sugar until then in fear the emergence of the zits I never had in high school would suddenly creep up on me and be absolutely audible on video.)
  7. The LA Times included my story in a piece they did about the future of books called The Future of Books, mentioned 13 to Life's headed to Walmart (and only misspelled one of my names once and now that looks to have been corrected. Technology's a lovely thing.)
  8. I officially said yes to attending the Rochester Teen Book Festival in 2011. YAY!

On the way to RWA in Orlando the following things happened:

  1. An entire family of generously proportioned folks squeezed into one mini van to drive from south Jersey to Florida. Hey! The hubby and I did this several times about ten years ago without issue.
  2. The hubby and I realized ten years makes a big difference in what you can do and what you want to do. ;-)

At RWA the following things happened:


  1. I stayed in an executive suite. DUDE. And it was not nearly as expensive as I had thought.
  2. I met Liane Gentry Skye (whose first name I've been adding a syllable to for more than a year) and Gail Hart, fellow Textnovel Divas.
  3. I met Heather V. Long who runs the awesomesauce-covered blog The Daily Dose.
  4. I bumped into the wonderful Mindy Klasky.
  5. I tried to balance attending a conference with my son's very first trip to Disney (no, I didn't realize I was that stupid either).
  6. I sold out of all my copies of 13 to Life at the Literacy Autographing in quick order and handed out swag before wandering the hall nearly aimlessly.
  7. Emily McKay caught up to me, Ann Aguirre and I found each other, Tes Hilaire, Erin Kellison, Michelle Marcos and I also reconnected.
  8. I went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, visited Hogsmeade Village, ate lunch at the Three Broomsticks and rode the Forbidden Journey. YES. I DID.
  9. I attended the St. Martin's Press party at the Atlantic Dance Hall where I saw Ann Marie Tallberg (who is wonderful funny and muy importante at SMP) and I got a hug and a kiss from my wonderful publisher, Matthew Shear.
  10. I chatted with the lovely Lucienne Diver about some cool future things planned for Florida readers.
  11. I got free wine.
  12. I survived giving my first presentation in front of RWA members (and got really great feedback afterward--they liked it!). Big thanks goes to my moderator Becky! She was terrific! And thanks to Maggie Shayne for offering to chat with attendees about her faith and experiences later!
  13. I made it to my video interview almost on time. Then I froze up during the interview, realizing my mouth was dry and my lips kept getting stuck on my teeth and gums and probably giving me a pained expression.
  14. I did a signing of 13 to Life books for RWA conference attendees (books are free for attendees) and signed and handed out all of them (and there were a lot!). Even my mis-signed one was taken. AND I scored a signed copy of A Bad Day for Sorry and a signed copy of Glimmerglass. DUDE. And the authors--AUTHORS--who showed up in MY line for a signed copy of 13 to Life? AWESOME and waaay beyond flattering. :D
  15. Since I was Tweeting, a fan of 13 to Life (and an aspiring creator himself) who was also in Orlando on vacation realized I was oddly local and we arranged a way to meet so I could sign his copy of the book (well, his new copy—his original one was loaned to his friend—so he bought the last one at the local bookstore). Anyhow—it was great to meet him (and his brother) and chat a couple minutes. It was totally awesome to know someone was willing to encourage his dad to drive the family to meet an author in the lobby of Walt Disney’s Dolphin.
  16. I got great news that I'll share with fans and friends when things settle down here and are made official and that news caused me to have to rethink some important aspects of my writing (dare I say it?) career.

On the way back the following things happened:


  1. I did an impromptu signing of 13 to Life at Barnes & Noble in Moorestown, NJ.
  2. I did an impromptu signing of 13 to Life at the Barnes & Noble in Wilkes-Barre, PA. They even called their Community Relations Manager, Donna, and we had a great chat—she’s awesome—and she scored me a coffee, too! Donna’s excited about my book and said that the numbers look good. I like hearing things like this. I, of course, offered to come back and speak and sign. I *love* speaking and signing.
I think that pretty much gets you all generally updated... Upcoming things to look forward to on the blog? More of Sarwat Chadda, author of Devil's Kiss; pics from my trip to Wizarding World of Harry Potter; the cover of Secrets and Shadows: A 13 to Life Novel; blog awards being given to folks whose efforts I appreciate; official announcements about winners of past contests and more!

Hope you all are doing well!
~Shannon

3 comments:

Heather Long said...

Is that all? Sounds like a quiet trip. Loved meeting you too. Can't wait for that next visit -- say in February, here in Texas and showing off the awesomesauce that are your books!

Saranna DeWylde said...

Wow! Sounds like a busy time! It also sounds wonderful. I'm so happy for you. Things are really taking off, darling! Way to go!!

nymfaux said...

WOW!!!!! Glad you had such and AWESOME trip!!!