Sunday, November 14, 2010

For One Week Each Year

For one week each year there's this book sale about an hour and a half away from where I live in upstate New York. It's the big Penguin/Putnam/DK warehouse book sale. People come from all over to stand in a line that rivals those of the most popular Disney attractions and to be let into the warehouse in waves. There's an obvious police presence and the age of attendees varies tremendously--but so do the types of books inside (and no, I'm a fool, I didn't take pictures to share).

How-to books and popular novels vie for space with audio books and boxes including children's stuffed animals and picture books. There are cook books and medical guides and organic gardening things aplenty... And the prices are amazing. If the book retailed originally at $10 or less (whether hardcover or paperback) you'll pay only $1. The scale continues in that way until you get to items (like boxed sets of books) that retailed at $60 or more and then I think it goes to a percentage. It's a little crazy inside (last year there were people nearly spread eagle across shelves trying to get what they wanted) and the number of people with suitcases and those rolling carts--significant.

I dragged my only local-ish beta to the event--how else could I do my holiday book shopping if I took my family? I wound up with $57 worth of books--go ahead, you imagine what my stuff retailed at. Yeah. Among the books I got? Will Grayson, Will Grayson, some Jim Butcher audio, some JR Ward, a bunch of kids' stuff. I felt pretty good about the results (and the day overall).

And a girlfriend is coming up to visit me and hit the sale with me later this week (yes, I make shopping a bit more of an event--life's short and I like good company and fun--even when doing holiday shopping). So far this year, I've had it all. :)

I hope you do, too.
~Shannon

No comments: